Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sense and Sensuality: Jesus Talks with Oscar Wilde

This was a book that was given to me at Christmas. I wasn't too sure about it and it still is kind of strange to put words in the mouth of Christ. The book is set up on the death bed of famous playwright and bi-sexual, Oscar Wilde. It opens with him and his lover/friend Robert Ross speaking to each other when Wilde then goes to the cemetery and encounters the "gardener" who ends up being Christ. Through the book, Christ and Wilde speak about many things and Christ also brings in a hero of Wilde's, Blaise Pascal, to show him his faults and the victory in Christ.

You can pick up on some of Ravi Zacharias' apologetic defenses in the discourses and I find them to be very interesting to be read in conversation form.

The idea of the book is a good one, but I am still not sure how I feel in having Christ portrayed as visiting someone for a conversation of their life. Theologically, this book misses on some points and I am trying to figure out if I can forgive that misstep for the overall premise to the book as a whole. I actually enjoyed reading this mock conversations with our Saviour, the greatest mathematician to ever live, and the man who put living for yourself and your sensuality on the map. It seemed honest with something real about it. Dr. Zacharias used many quotes directly from the Scriptures and from Oscar Wilde himself to draw out the conversation so that it wasn't totally made up.

Dr. Zacharias is very poignant in his discussion on God's order and how God meant pleasures to be handled. Ravi was very clear on these points so that none could see Jesus being dismissive with the gross immorality that was Oscar Wilde's life. The way that Ravi handles this conversation though is with truth and grace, something we could all learn as we handle those outside of the faith and entranced with sin.

Although it was an interesting read and one that I wouldn't mind giving to someone else, I am not sure that it will be one that will be cherished or remembered. I like the layout, if I can get passed the mock words of Jesus, so I probably will pick up some of the other conversations with Jesus that Ravi has done. I can't say I would recommend this book, but I wouldn't keep someone from reading it either.

0 comments: