Sunday, December 31, 2006

John MacArthur New Testament Commentary


I have found this to be of utmost use for my biblical learning. This set is done very well and very well written. The set is not very technical like Keil and Delitzsch or The New International Greek Testament, but is very readable, and you almost get the sense of MacArthur's commentaries to be really like his sermons on these subjects. If I had to compare these commentaries to any other I would compare them to the great Calvin Commentary set. The commentaries are set up to be readable and technical when need be. Unlike some other commentaries, you very well just sit down and read through these like a book, which I find very useful. The only drawback that I have found is that in places I wish MacArthur would be technical, he sometimes is not. The other thing to watch out for is that MacArthur used to hold to the view that Jesus Christ was not always the Son (eternal Sonship), and they have yet to correct this error in reconstructing the commentary of Galatians. Conversely though, MacArthur does NOT hold to this view anymore and has publicly shown his reversal of this false view. You can read his reversal here. As far as theological persuasion, MacArthur is dispensational, pre-mill, pre-trib, cessationalist and 5 Point Calvinist.

Beyond that I would highly recommend this commentary set for everyone, layman and clergy alike. Link to buy

0 comments: