Friday, January 19, 2007

Famine in the Land

This book is a must have for every preacher, in all places, for all times. Steven Lawson has emerged as a pastor that is known for one thing: Passionate Expository Preaching. This book I was expecting to be a mirror of Dr. Lawson's message at the Shepherd's Conference titled, "Bring the Book." But what I found was that this book was an expansion of that sermon and not one could replace the other. I did enjoy the book more, I believe, because I heard Lawson's sermon on the topic first, as I could hear the passion that Lawson preached while reading his words.


The book exposits The Priority, Power, Pattern and Passion of Biblical preaching. Lawson accomplishes this through the story of Jonah, Ezra, Paul and Timothy focusing on the passages in the book of Jonah, Ezra 7:10, Nehemiah 8:1-8 and 1 Timothy 4:13-16. Lawson is very clear and I don' t know if it was because I did hear his sermon but it seemed as though the admonishing and exhorting teachings were leaping from the pages to my mind in how I could change the way I teach and preach. This book along with the sermon, "Bring the Book," should be given to every preacher whether seasoned or new to the ministry. Link to Buy

1 Comment:

Keith said...

AMEN!! Heard Mr. Lawson at the SC also. A powerful sermon and an even more powerful book. One of my three favorite books.