Saturday, January 6, 2007

Made in Our Image

Steve Lawson has become one of my favorite preachers in America, besides my own Jason Katen of course. Lawson's undeniable love for the truth is inspiring to say the least and convicting at most. I have enjoyed listening to his sermons online as we are separated by the entire continental United States, as he is in Alabama and, I, in the state of Washington.


In this book, which I really feel is mis-titled, Lawson draws on the characteristics and displays the greatness of our infinite God. The reason I say that it is mis-titled is because Lawson spends more time on describing who God actually is (the Biblical God) than who He isn't (the user-friendly god). Lawson spends very little time on the user friendly God and more on the true awe inspiring sovereign Creator. This doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy the book, but I felt that Dr. Lawson would spend more time "outing" this movement of those who make God our "buddy" instead of our Yahweh.
The book spends time in showing us His wrath, sovereignty, love, holiness and much more, and then also takes a look at how we should respond. Because of the strong preaching Lawson brings I was hoping that he would call some of these "pastors" out or give better examples of these movements in the United States. But, he did not. I do believe that if any of these "pastors" or congregants of these churches picked this book up they would see their fallacies, and for that I commend Dr. Lawson. If you are looking for an exhaustive look on particular subjects on God, like fearing Him, or His holiness, this isn't the book for you. But, if you are looking for an expansive look at our true God in one volume, then this is a great book. I liked the reading and liked the many subjects he looks into about God. I also can notice the impact it would have giving it to someone who is caught up in the user-friendly movement, so for those reasons I would recommend it. The better title might have been, "The True God of the Bible."

0 comments: